Lares Trek ( 4 Days / 3 Nights )
The Lares Valley is one of the most picturesque in the southern part of Cusco, home of many traditional weavers and farmers. The people live day to day, growing and knitting what they eat and wear. Each day is reasonably paced with ample time to enjoy the scenery, the walk is difficult but this is compensated by the landscape, lunch alongside cascading waterfalls, and appreciation of the life of the Andean farmer. The indigenous people of this area speak Spanish and Quechua.
DAY 1: CUSCO – CALCA – LARESVILLAGE (3100 M.A.S.L.) – HOT SPRINGS – HUACA HUASI, (3800m).
We depart early from Cusco by bus to the Lares Valley. Upon arrival at the town of Lares you can enjoy the hot springs and relax for about an hour and a half. Lunch is also provided here. Then we start the hike of approximately three hours to Huaca Huasi where we will set up camp for the first night. This is a beautiful day with stunning views to take in. You will experience and visit several Andean villages that we will pass on the trail and if you like have a chat with the local people.
DAY 2: FROM HUACA HUASITO PATACANCHA (3700m).
After an early wake-up call followed by breakfast, we will start our trek. This day will be more arduous with approximately seven hours of hiking, with a midday lunch break. We will start our ascent to the highest point of the circuit, the climb is challenging until the pass at Ipsayqocha at 4350 meters. It is well worth the effort as there are indescribably panoramic views of the snow-capped peaks of Pitusiray, Sawasiray, Chicon and the other surrounding mountain peaks. This will be a lovely day and there is the chance to see Andean wild life along the way. We will then camp at Patacancha.
DAY 3: FROM PATACANCHA – WILLOQ – OLLANTAYTAMBO (2600m) – AGUASCALIENTES TOWN (2000m).
After a hearty breakfast we start our leisurely three hour hike down until we reach Willoq. From there we will take a bus as far as Ollantaytambo, where we will board the train to the town of Aguas Calientes where we stay overnight in a hotel.
DAY 4: MACHUPICCHU (2400m) – CUSCO (3400m) :
After an early breakfast we will take one of the first buses up to Machupicchu and enjoy sunrise at this magical place before the other tourists arrive from Cusco. Next we will take a guided tour and after you will have enough free time to explore the site individually or do some hikes of your own before we descend back down to Aguas Calientes later in the afternoon. We will board the train and ride back to Cusco. After arriving in Cusco we will transfer to the hotel.
Transportation from Cusco to Lares where we start walking
- Official English speaking guide
- Assistant tour guide (for groups of 9 or more people)
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- Train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Machupicchu
- Bus tickets to Machupicchu Inca City and Machupicchu town
- 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 afternoon snacks, 3 dinners and various snacks to be eaten throughout the day; the first breakfast and every meals after the breakfast on day 4 are not included
- Professional cook: all our fresh vegetables are washed in iodine water prior to serving and we provide only boiled, filtered or iodized water for drinking.
- Vegetarian food on request at no extra cost! All dietary requirements from vegans, lacto-allergies and general dislikes can be catered for so long as prior warning is given when booking the trip
- Drinking water for every meal
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- First aid kit
- 1 oxygen tank
- Horses and llamas (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment).
- Duffle bag (in which you can put up to 6 kilos of your personal belongings – your sleeping bag included)
- Horse men
- Quadruple & waterproof Camping tent (cap. 4 fitting 2)
- 1 sleeping mattress per person
- 1 night in a touristic hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Expedition train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Transfer from Ollantaytambo train station to your hotel in Cusco
- Sleeping bag
- Breakfast on first day and last day